Friday, July 11, 2008

Homesick for somewhere I've never been


I left Michigan a little over 2 years ago to be nearer to my (now) wife and to find greener pastures for jobs. It was a wise move in both regards...but I'm homesick as a mofo. It comes and goes in waves. I told Sam when we got married that I had a shelf-life of 5 years in GA. It's already been a year since then, so I'm down to less than 4 years and I don't yet have any where specific I want to move. I know I can't return to the North and face those long winters ever again, but I HAVE to be near water. Big water. And since I can't be near the Great Lakes, it's going to have to be the Atlantic Coast (the Gulf Coast is too damn hot). Somewhere between Virginia and South Carolina I think. I find myself day dreaming and scouring the web about Coastal North Carolina, and most of it looks and sounds like a perfect fit. There aren't many mid-sized to large-sized cities which has it's drawbacks as far as the job market goes. Sam can get work just about anywhere, as she's in the optical field, but I'm in marketing, and most places have to have a lot of employees to have a marketing department. I check online for job postings in the Wilmington, NC and Greenville, NC (not exactly on the coast, but very close!) areas. I've had a few that sounded nice, but I'm in no position to even apply just yet.

If any of you have lived in a coastal community, you know the plusses of it...there's a certain vibe to it that is a lot more laid-back than anywhere else. Not to mention the peace of mind that seeing big water every day can give. Knowing that if you want, just a short walk or bike ride will get you to the beach and you can be back home without much trouble. Ugh....I miss it!

We have a vacation booked for Hilton Head Island, SC in September, so I'm hoping that trip will lay some ground work for getting Sam on board for moving out of the Atlanta area and get to the coast. A little over 2 more months to go until that trip and I cannot wait!

As to the move, I'm open to suggestions, but ultimately, it depends on the job market.

No comments: